I enjoy solving problems.
- Effective communicator and collaborator able to understand and work with teams across departments and disciplines.
- Sharp eye for visual design with an emphasis on usability, grids & layout, typography, and motion.
- Analytical mind that’s able to construct clear wireframes and information architecture.
- Impeccable production skills in both design & code. From sketch to prototype to final product I take pride in my craft.
- 10–20 years experience with Adobe and similar tools: interactive, prototyping, motion, video, static, and print.
the redlamp organization
Freelance UI/UX Designer
Senior Staff Designer
2022-2023 – Contract
- Designed Portal Nodes, enabling users to more easily manage large and complex graphs.
- Lead design workshops with team and content partners to identify and prioritize features and possible solutions. These fun workshops generated immediately actionable feedback.
- Collaborated with Adobe’s Prototyping team to generate graph improvements focused on Frames and Layout Assist features.
- Designed streamlined workflow and usability enhancements for Texture Baking mode.
- Implemented an Agile development process for design on Substance Painter and Substance Designer, improving efficiency and collaboration within the team.
- Acquired in-depth knowledge of the Qt UI framework’s QWidget and QSS systems to ground design and wireframes in Painter and Designer’s tech pipeline.
Principal UX Designer
2022 – Contract
UX Designer of the Apocalypse
2021-2022 – Contract
- Game and System design of core gameplay features.
- Long-term process and planning for UI/UX team.
- Introducing and onboarding the larger dev team to Agile.
- Running brainstorming sessions to help the team understand workflow and enhance communication.
- UI/UX Design on the internal narrative engine/tool.
- Extensive user research on internal narrative engine/tool.
Disco Elysium (PC, Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, Stadia)
- Porting the game to new platforms.
- Making the experience feel comfortable and natural across hardware factors (PC, TV, and handheld).
- Improving accessibility and legibility of the game.
Force Field XR
Principal UX Designer
- Leading 10+ member multi-disciplinary feature team through production of a AAA VR vertical slice project.
- Part of leadership team defining pre-production process of full-scale AAA VR title around well-known IP.
- Working with game design and art leadership to explore and define visual style and interaction for the future of VR.
- Prototyping and interaction design with Unreal Engine.
Senior UX Designer
Horizon Forbidden West (PlayStation)
- Working with leadership and production to scope, prioritize, and schedule UI/UX requirements for entire project.
- Designing, documenting, and prototyping features across all areas of the project (HUD, in-game, menus).
- Building and implementing features with the Decima engine.
- Designing features and quality of life improvements for the Decima based on experience with tools.
- Creating processes and procedures for a newly assembled UI/UX team, onboarding members new to the team, tools, and industry.
- Designing systems focusing on user generated content, social/community development, retention, and general usability.
- Building virtual reality prototypes with Unity, wireframes with Adobe XD, and design documentation with Confluence.
Heroes of the Storm (PC)
- Designing features with players, streamers, viewers, and esports in mind. The ways we consume games are growing.
- Working on features for a live game with goals ranging from player acquisition, retention, and quality of life improvements.
- Launching “Heroes Brawl” game mode and first 3 months of weekly content (highlighted at BlizzCon 2016).
- Extensive wireframing and UX documentation. Prototyping features, functionality, and motion, across a range of tools.
Red Dead Redemption II (PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Stadia)
- Helping lead vanguard of UI/UX team to establishing design, motion, and frameworks for project.
- Building HUD messaging system that could easily add new channels and designs while maintaining a simple script interface.
- Migrating and maintaining UI systems between projects as well as building tools to facilitate and speed up work flow.
Grand Theft Auto V (PC, PlayStation, Xbox)
- Identifying the needs of stakeholders to plan, design, and develop solutions that meet or exceed expectations on time.
- Core contributor to minigame UI (15+ so many), pause menu, game script driven dynamic leader board system, and more.
- Strong liaison between multidisciplinary teams (Art, Audio, Code, Design, Localization, QA, UI/UX) across 8 studios worldwide.